Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone - Kat Rosenfield Where to start? This review will probably contain some spoilers. Read at your own risk.Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone follows two stories - one of Amelia leading up to her final moments, and one of Rebecca, a high school graduate looking forward to college and her ticket out of her tiny town. Their stories are entwined throughout the story in unusual ways at first and then in more concrete ways at the end.At the very beginning of the story Amelia is found dead on the side of the road. This seems to shake Rebecca and derail her from all her previous goals. She seems to think of herself and Amelia as being the same person. I kind of found this a little strange. There was something that didn't add up between Amelia being found and Rebecca suddenly becoming obsessed with her murder. Rebecca was in a bit of a funny place when the murder happened (her boyfriend had dumped her and then changed his mind), but something about the whole connection felt off.I was completely sucked into the book about 2/3 of the way through and just couldn't put it down. It was very disturbing. I felt awful for Craig - a known asshole in the community but not a murderer. To have to read about what some of the men in town did to him was probably the worst part of the book for me. It was really gruesome and I was sure I was going to have nightmares (luckily, I didn't). The whole story wrapped up kind of the way I expected but it was still kind of a surprise. On the back of the hardcover copy I had, there is a quote from Ellen Hopkins saying the novel is "Lush, compelling, and mysterious." I would agree with this assessment. The writing was like liquid velvet. It really did feel rich and luxurious. I wasn't too compelled until we were reaching the climax, but I still think Ellen Hopkins hit the nail on the head. I would recommend this book to older YA and adults.