Wonder

Wonder - R.J. Palacio August Pullman does not look like anyone else on the planet. Thanks to a genetic lottery no one would want to win, his face is pretty unconventional looking. Aside from looking really different, he also has had trouble learning to speak and eat, and has trouble hearing. Life has not been easy for August. Now he's going into fifth grade and for the first time ever, he is going to attend school. August doesn't know if he can handle it (and his parent aren't sure if they can). But looks aren't everything, right?Well. I'm going to admit something about myself. For the first 1/4 of the book or so, I was completely distracted trying to figure out what August really looked like. I almost couldn't focus on the story. I seriously wanted a picture or something. It wasn't until the book started switching narrators that I was able to really forget about his features and just enjoy the story. So whatever that says about me, I guess there it is.This book was pretty awesome overall. The characters were so realistic and most of them were really likeable. It is kind of a David and Goliath story. Little August Pullman has a face that only a mother could love, but he proves that to be untrue. His personality and his character are so strong that anyone who gives him a chance can't help but love him. He is just a cool little kid. He knows he's different and he knows people are scared of him and mean. But even when he is upset by the actions of others, he doesn't let it get to him. It gets to him, but he puts on a brave face and just keeps being true to himself. I hope this makes it on to some school reading lists because it is really uplifting and inspiring.